Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Daytime TV

Now that my vague backstory is out of the way, I can talk about random shit :)
I'm watching Sex and the City. I think the people who make fun of and criticize this show have just never seen it. Or they could just be bros. It really is more of a female thing.
Anyways, I always feel kind of special watching it, because it was one of my grandma's favorite shows. Its also witty and relevant to everyday life. You know, if you're like me and everyday life does in fact include designer bags. I just have a thing for Coach. Fuck off.
ANYWAYS, as I'm spending the afternoon waiting by my phone for potential employers to call, watching Sex and the City, I became hip to the fact that it is probably totally impossible that Carrie can afford her bitchin Manhattan apartment by writing a weekly newspaper column. But in a silly, unrealistic way, it makes me feel like I can make shit work. I can make money doing something I love and have a bitchin place of my own. And yes, its silly to take such basic inspiration from such a generic fictional character, but thats why we keep making music and books and films and silly sitcoms, because we're a very diverse world and sometimes we need some reassurance that there's someone else out there that we could relate to.
I've never found many people who I can relate to. I do have a few though. I have some very lovely friends that I can relate some aspect of my life to, because my life is pretty eclectic.
I've been trying to avoid talking about this, but its sort of impossible since it pops into my mind every five minutes, but I've met someone. Well, I've known him for a while, but he just recently crossed into the "Potential Mate Zone". Perhaps that should be explained-- my new and improved background in evolutionary biology has given me a new and improved smarty pants vocabulary. You may be able to physically be with someone, but first you have to actually recognize that someone as a potential mate. And once someone crosses into The Not a Potential Mate Zone, aka The Friend Zone, it can be hard to readjust your brain. But I did, and I'm really glad that I did. Well, I think I am. I'm also really scared that I'm just being silly and it won't go anywhere, because to jump back on the whole people-I-can-relate-myself-to track, he may be the most relatable to me guy I've ever kind of been with (yes, that was horrible wording, but I couldn't think of another way to put it). Its kind of since we're not together. Because he doesn't live anywhere near me.
< I feel the need to add a disclaimer real quick and say this is NOT my best friend Mike. He is just my best friend and we are both totally happy like that >
So yes, although I was definitely not looking for someone, I found a very, very nice someone. And I realized that he's the first person I've ever dated and or been with who would not have made fun of me for saying "I just had a giant salad and now I'm reading," but actually said that sentence to me. I mean, thats something so simple, to have compatible eating and reading habits, but I realized that every man prior had not only been different from me, but made fun of me for being different. Not necessarily in a mean way, and not in a way that made me change myself, but it still made me unhappy. I've also never had someone who adopted a new habit or interest for me. And maybe they didn't expect me to adopt theirs, but I still did, and I enjoyed it, but they would still make fun of me and my unique little hobbies, interests or guilty pleasures. And I would really like the chance to get to know this guy more, because aside from all the other great things I'm learning about him, I think he'd actually be accepting of my little quirks in a non condescending way, and I don't think an alternative would even cross his mind.
Why has it been so hard to find someone like that?
Probably because I only recently started appreciating myself.
Too bad the fucking bakery hasn't called to appreciate me yet.
Excuse the mushy sappiness.
Cheers!

No comments: